Friday, September 6, 2013

What should I plant in my shade flower bed?


When Canadian Tire had their annual hanging basket sale, I went out and bought three 10”hanging baskets of begonias. I took them out of there pots and planted them right into the ground.

Because we don’t have a long growing season here I wanted to give them as good a start as I could. They have done so well this year that I will be buying them again next year. At $11. a hanging basket I figure it’s quite a good deal. I water them in the morning and try not to water too much of the

 
leaves, this gives them a chance to dry out during the day yet still be a bit humid. When evening comes they are completely dry on the surface which is what I want for the night, this way they don’t have a chance to get diseased. I also have an overhang on my flower bed so when it rains I still don’t get any rain on them therefore they rely only on my watering them.
 


 My  flower bed only gets about 3 hours of sunlight late in the afternoon. I also thought perennials would be a good choice. I planted cedar and astilbe.


These are the astilbes.
 
 
 
 
 In my second flower bed on the other side of my door nothing grows.  What I did was covered it with plastic and then put down rocks, added a water fountain and a pot with a kalancho and ivy.
 
 I also have a couple of little ornamental gophers poking there heads up amongst the rocks .
My pot with ivy and kalancho.
I also have a potted palm beside my door.
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment